Saturday, August 11, 2007


Sorry I've had limited communications with everyone. I appreciate all the encouraging voice mails, texts, & emails. It's been a crazy past 36 hours!
My water broke at 2:30 pm, thankfully my dear friend Diana, a former labor/delivery/ob nurse happened to be visiting me at that moment. She immediately began telling me what to do (my childbirth class is August 11) and explained everything, stayed w/ me through out the whole labor & delivery. It was amazing. In addition, several goddesses, roomie, & my fab massage therapist all zipped right over for the labor party, bearing witness to all the fun...including the moments immediately after the epidural when I decided that I had to have on my waterproof mascara and long wearing lipstick. I was snapping pics and sending them to The whole time. In fact, the very first photo of Grace I snapped from between my legs as she was sliding on to the table and taking that first breath to cry.
The entire experience felt just as it should. It felt like things moved quickly, which I was grateful for. The contractions that I had prior to the epidural were hard, but felt just as I expected them to. Even feeling her head crown and then feeling her move out was awesome. I felt very present with each push and very supported & encouraged. I said the serenity prayer a lot!
Grace is wonderful. We like each other a lot, and she's doing great at getting a good start on latching on. Sometimes she just forgets to suck, but that is part of her prematurity. I am confident that it will all come together.
I've been fortunate to have sooo many people calling, sending mail, etc. I am going to have to make myself rest and spend as much time in the NICU as possible this weekend, until they kick me out. :(
Then I'll begin a few weeks (??) of travelling back and forth to KC each day to be with her. I am spending a lot of nights at Miss Phyllis' house (Becky's mama) to maximize time with Grace. In the meanwhile, I hope to feel up to working 1/2 time until she comes home... This will allow me to save up time off until she's home safe and sound.
I will continue to post pics regularly. Feedings are at 11, 2, 5, and 8 round the clock. And I'll have a lot of pumping to do in between.
That's all my news. I'm gonna go rest and be a good mommy, and I'll update when I can and I'll call when I need sanity! Keep sending good wishes & prayers our way, that Gracie meets her milestones soon and can come home and meet the Beagle.


Enarda said...

I'm so happy for you! She's such a beautiful little button!

Terri said...

Yippee! She looks beautiful! She will be home before you know it. Congrats on your little miracle!

Anonymous said...

Heartiest congratulations! She is a gem-Deb

RunLuluRun said...

She is a two looked so at home together already!

Roya Annoya said...

Congratulations, K, and welcome to lil Grace! I had a card all picked out and addressed saying "Happy Incubating" and then I got the you'll get two cards and that explains why.


goddess going there said...


"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time . Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." --E.B. White