Saturday, August 04, 2007

I already lost my marbles, thank you.

Saturdays are good. I read some cheesy story recently about a man who filled a jar with the number of marbles that coincided with the estimated number of Saturdays he had left in his life. Or maybe it was weekends. Whatever. Which reminds me... I failed to forward the email to 8 of my closest friends to remind them to send it back to me to grant my deepest wish and subsequently was responsible for the death of several puppy angels, but anyhoo... the story. I think the dude then removed the marbles and watched it dwindle and appreciated his weekends more, etc.etc.

No need for the marble thing here. I fully appreciate a good Saturday. I no longer feel "guilty" for doing what I want on a Saturday, or what I feel like, even if it is the nicest day in the world and I choose to lay in my recliner all morning reading a good book instead of taking that recommended walk around the neighborhood. That would have been good also, I am sure, but I did what I felt like doing. I went to a bbq this evening with a friend whose company I always enjoy, and hung out with good people at the new home of a family whose son I work for. What an awesome kid. On one of my many trips to the bathroom, he walked out of the bathroom with an armful of water balloons. He looked at me and said "Are you going to tell on me?" I just laughed. I don't have to be anyone's case manager OR hall monitor on a Saturday.

I came home tonight and spent some time reading the blog of a friend who invited me to read her private blog a while ago, but I didn't catch the invite. (Look for your invite if I have your email and I know you want to keep reading the 'palooza in the future) Anyway, it was awesome to read what's going on for her, although poignant as well. She's a great writer, and I've missed reading her lately, especially knowing that she was going through some pretty awful stuff. Her blog did not disappoint... I think it's a fine art to be "out there" in your writing in an environment such as this, taking care to protect those around you and yourself, but still allowing a glimpse into some painful situations that we otherwise might not really get into... with busy schedules, etc. I love that about blogging... it's a chance to share the good, the bad, the ugly. I've certainly used this format to share all of that and more. I know that there are people out there who read this and then end up with an understanding of my personal challenges that I probably wouldn't effectively convey otherwise in the noisy, busy, too rare opportunities that we have to be together face to face.
Not to mention many who I don't get to see face to face often, or at all. It's a very therapeutic venue. I hope that if I don't already know you read this, that you'll email me to continue to read after I change over to private.

So Saturdays... I'm grateful for every one of them. Even the ones that contain nothing more than a good book, some computer time, a short jaunt to the country for a bbq. It's more than I could have hoped for at one time, and I know that it's all going to be richer and more valuable to me when I am sharing it with a little one.

1 comment:

Meg Moran said...

ok...I have sent off my email, and I will hope to "make the cut'! Best to you and Grace...keep enjoying those Saturdays and all the days that come before and after.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time . Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." --E.B. White