Friday, September 23, 2005

Rescue me...

Another damn thunderstorm, and I am awakened at 1:30 am with the shaking and panting beagle on my head. I just dosed her with some Rescue Remedy in hopes that she'll calm the hell down and let me sleep. www.rescueremedy.com Yes, it's safe to use on dogs.

I am very excited about premiere week on television... unnaturally so. Only because some of my old favorites are returning and it gives me more knitting time. I still haven't figured out a way to knit and read at the same time, and I have realized that my time to prepare for the Bizarre Bazaar is becoming more and more limited. I have, however, figured out how to knit laying down, and begun taking my knitting with me to AA meetings. That's a good hour to knit and listen. My only hope of being able to afford Christmas gifts comes from the money I make at Bizarre Bazaar (held the Saturday after Thanksgiving at The Lawrence Arts Center) http://www.visitlawrence.com/visitor/events/481/

I am trying to break out of my scarf rut, but they're just so...long and straight.

But about my trashy television viewing habits... My DVR is an interesting reflection on my current obsessions: I record several things daily, and then ff through them for interesting tidbits or episodes not seen: Will and Grace re-runs, Martha, (I never was a big fan, but she now seems to have a sense of humor.) Oprah,(She picked http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400031087/qid=1127460732/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2747034-9899355?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 for her book club today. I read it about 6 months ago, before sobriety, and it really is a compelling look at addiction. His follow up "My Friend Leonard" is great, too.)
The Daily Show... yes, I still want to hit it with Jon Stewart.

Weekly I have Over There, Nip/Tuck, ER, Survivor, and I think Andy and I just may get hooked on Lost... we'd be the last ones in tv-addiction land to catch that boat, but we're going to give it a shot. I really like a lot of stuff FX is making. Their recent "Rescue Me" with Denis Leary was just kick-ass. And my dirty little secret is "The OC". I love it.

You may think I need to get out of the house more, but I really have been. I've been getting lots of work stuff done, and that's a great relief. I've figured out which drugs just can't be taken during the day and still function, which is good, and I am trying not to let the house go straight to hell in a handbasket. It's a huge effort considering my past track record even when I was healthy and energetic. I have lots of help from my friends. The song doesn't even begin to describe it. One friend has been paying another to deep clean/sanitize once in a while, and Andy just does whatever I ask for or the dogs demand. They really really like him. FOOD! he seems to really "get" that command.

I am looking forward to the weekend... Scott and T are in Ireland, and I plan on invading their empty house and using their lovely jacuzzi indoor, and then on Saturday having a couple of friends over to take advantage of the outdoor hot tub. I hope it doesn't rain. Girls night in the hot tub sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I am surprised that Scott has not yet procured a calling card and called to ask if I am taking my antibiotics. I have the worst time forcing myself to do this. I hate them... they make me feel worse, and then there's the cooter itch. I know... I am eating as much yogurt as I can, and it ain't helping. I think more drastic measures may be called for.

Lucy the beagle seems to have calmed down to a slow pant with little vibration, so maybe we can get some sleep now.

2 comments:

Megan Stuke said...

Three words. Di Flu Can.

See you this weekend!
Skittles!

Melissa said...

Tired of scarves? SOCKS! Socks are my therapy. I knit them in the doctors' waiting rooms, in the few classes I occasionally go to, even when walking through parking lots to and from doctor's offices and class (assuming it's still daylight out). I knit them while watching TV, and when reading the news on the Web. I knit them when visiting friends. I knit them whenever there is someplace I have to wait. I no longer have to look at the pattern, letting the cool self-striping/patterning sock yarns do all the fancy-looking work.

With leftover sock yarn, you can make little cat-sized socks to fill with catnip. A little something different for the holiday craft faires, especially when paired with full-sized socks for the cat's human. ;)

Having myself spent a year bed-ridden, and long stretches of my past 15 years mostly horizontal, I know how crazy-making it can be.

So, hang in there, do what you can as you can, and like the magnet from your friend says, keep on going, cuz it's the only way to get to the other side!

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time . Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." --E.B. White