Thursday, January 01, 2009

Walky walky!

Don't get all excited, she's not actually toddling yet.

She is: crawling very fast forward, backward, and in circles, climbing tables, chairs, couch, and mommy. She stands just fine as long as she's got one hand on something. She's practicing falling using the couch cushions.

I do not have a daredevil baby that started running pell-mell all over tarnation ( I love that word) on her 9 month birthday. Rather, she's cautious, tentative, and stubbornly planning on figuring it all out in her own time.

Still, I called Tiny K Early childhood intervention to do a quick assessment: Their opinion? Nothing is wrong. She's going to walk when she wants to.

I asked the pediatrician about it at last checkup. His opinion? Nothing is wrong, she just needs to gain some strength in the pelvic region.

So I am torn between wanting her to just go ahead and walk, and being nervous about how much my life will change when it does happen. Already she is soooo active and needing to be chased everywhere. (all over tarnation.)

“When the child first begins to walk, parents postpone or adjust many of their own wishes and plans because the new physical and emotional demands of locomotion often call for immediate and sustained attention.”

Ummm. Yeah. I know that's coming. I have organized my wardrobe into easy mommy clothes and track outfits?? I call them "leisure suits". I am reorganizing the kitchen and childproofing. I have ordered more baby gates to corral her in larger areas.

Come on baby, do the locomotion...

1 comment:

Megan Stuke said...

Call me. I want to come over to see her actually do the deed.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time . Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." --E.B. White