Saturday, April 30, 2005

Won't you be my neighbor?

It's been another day that reminds me how much I love my neighborhood... My friend Lori came over this afternoon to find me sitting in the back yard staring at a tree, and she had her kids with her. The kids got out their scooters and had some fun in the newly paved cul-de-sac while their mom and I talked on the porch and sneaked cigarettes (I am quitting again on Monday, people. I mean it.)

We drank tea and met the neighbors down the way, who I've never met before. There were fascinating and very friendly, in a sort of christian/schizophrenic/stuttering kind of way. Lori's daughter (13 years old) eventually laid down in the middle of the cul-de-sac and meditated, while her younger brother rode in circles around her. He let me ride his scooter for a while, and luckily I didn't hurt myself.

Soon a charming gentleman riding a beautiful black horse rode up and chatted for a bit. Howdy, cowpoke! His horse was stunning and she let me pet her for a while. He said that he rides her in town to get her used to traffic and people so that he can ride her in parades.

I think the white horses across the street were a bit jealous, as they stood and watched us talk for a long time. A guy from the city was mowing the field across from my house and I convinced him to come mow my front lawn, since I purchased a mower last year that doesn't work. Never started again after the guy delivered it to me. Rat bastard. I gave the mowing guy 10 bucks and told him to go buy some beer and enjoy the rest of this lovely day.

Batboy showed up a while later, full of advice on my yard, but not concerned enough about it to actually do anything except point out the areas that need work. He sauntered around the yard for a while with a stick, poking at things, then rested in the hammock for a bit after all that advice-giving had worn him out.

He and I walked over to Mr. Rose's house, he has the two white horses and the most precious little farm right here in town. He's a sweet man, and he stopped his mower for a while to chat with us as we pet his rowdy dogs and admired his huge vegetable garden. His wife's been ill for quite a while, and we neighbors worry about the two of them, but they have kids here in town to look after them also.

In general, it was a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

1 comment:

Rikki said...

That sounds like a great Lawrence day. Did you check out Art in the Park yesterday?

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time . Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." --E.B. White