Thursday, July 30, 2009

Memory

It’s a gray Kansas day… feeling even more tired than usual. If it’s not one thing, it’s another. Yet another sign of old-age, saying things like that.

I had lunch with my best friend the other day and we were discussing the issue of aging and memory. I tend to blame much of my spacy forgetfulness on my ADD, or on being a mommy. There really is a difference in how my mind works since having a baby. Must be a hormonal shift.


Anyway, I would have assumed that without the frequent need to over-compensate for foggy hangover brain and the tendency to black out when drunk a few years ago, I would actually be a much sharper person now that I’m sober. Not so. I’m just as “out-there” some days as I ever was. So I’m not sure if it really comes down to age or other factors?

My friend believes that his forgetfulness is unrelated to any sort of ADD, and is probably more likely age-related or just being tired.

I think there is something to the “tired” theory. I push myself to stay up late because it’s my only “me-time”—no one is placing any demands on my time after about 9 pm, so I like to prolong it as much as possible. And the next day? Well, there’s the Ritalin. And the protein shake. And vitamins. And coffee. And nicotine. All the fuels that keep this crazy and meandering mommy rolling.

Must buy diapers.

No comments:

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time . Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." --E.B. White